Index Learning Program
- Exhibition: Media Coverage28 October–16 November 2016
- Writing Sessions: Sampling the name8 November 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Open Workshop: Placeholders19 November 2016, 13:00–15:00
- Writing Sessions: Collect the crash26 September 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Workshop: 15 minutes of shame with Anna Axfors13 August 2016, 17:00–18:00
- Workshop: Performance making with I HIMLEN ÄR ALLA LINJER BLÅ12 August 2016, 12:00–16:00
- Roaming Writing Sessions: The tongue is muscle filled with blood8 August 2016, 18:00–20:00
- Workshop: Build Your Own Joe9 July 2016, 14:00–16:00
- Roaming Writing Sessions: The Argonauts on The Stage27 June 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Workshop: Calligramming with Poesifest16 June 2016, 19:00–22:00
- Roaming Writing Session: Salongen23 May 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Workshop: Diagrammatics #222 May 2016, 14:00–17:00
- Open House30 April 2016, 11:00–14:00
- Cullberg Talks: Work28 April 2016, 18:00
- Roaming Writing Sessions: Telefonplan Bibliotek18 April 2016, 17:00–19:30
- Workshops: Diagrammatics16 April 2016, 14:00–17:00
- Workshops: The 'I' in Self6 March 2016
Our major learning initiative with is Index Residents. Functioning as an open-ended platform for collaboration, over 160 students ages 15–20 from schools and social groups from across Stockholm take up residency within Index for one year. Working closely with teachers and leaders of social groups, this residency takes a long-term approach, allowing topics to evolve and develop in relation to the interests of the participants. The program allows participation in a series of workshops related to our exhibitions plus specialised visits to artists studios, art schools, film screenings and other cultural venues and events in the city, providing a platform for young people to meet art face to face and discuss the potential of culture for young adults.
Learn more about The Residents and read our blog here.
Index Teen Advisory Board
The Index Teen Advisory Board offers eight paid positions for young people ages 16–20 every year for one full year. The aim is to bring together a group of young people with differing cultural backgrounds, languages and life experiences and reflect together on the role and potential of culture today, and implement ideas into the agenda of the organization. Meeting once a month, the board actively supports decision making and evaluation, and also participate in organizing events targetted at a young audience. In our meetings, we bring the board in close contact with our exhibiting artists, members of our organization and other cultural institutions, through a series of workshops, visits, and other activities.
Learn more about ITAB here.
Index Mini Residents
Index is open to visits by primary school children ages 5 – 15. Please contact our learning staff about visits and activities .
Open Workshop Series
During each exhibition at Index there is a parallel series of workshops that illuminate and demonstrate some of the key themes presented in the exhibitions. These practical workshops are designed for people and students of all ages. Upcoming workshops are announced on this page or to arrange for your group or class to participate.
Collaborations with programs in Higher education
With an interest in research, Index collaborates with many universities and art academies in Sweden and beyond through lectures, ongoing partnerships and co-operations. We offer students insight into our curatorial practice and the work of important contemporary artists and also provide a platform for courses to engage with our program. Some of our collaborators are courses such as Konstfack’s Curatorlab, the Art & Architecture programme at Royal Institute of Art in Stockholm, the Konstnärliga forskarskolan, Umeå Academy of Fine Arts – Umeå University, and many others.
Index regularly offers opportunities for internships for students and people new to the industry.
More information here.
Learning Exhibition Space
Index has a space dedicated to learning and educational activities. Facing the waterfront with large windows towards the street, the space is also an exhibition platform for work being developed in connection to the pedagogical activities and affiliated schools.
If you would like to participate in our program or know more about what we do, please get in touch with Isabel Löfgren at
We look forward to hearing from you!