Index Learning Program
Index’ learning approach is to operate as a non-heirarchical and open-ended platform that encourages curiosity and dialogue. Through hands-on engagement participants are empowered to move beyond the role of spectator and become an active part of the artistic process. We work with people of all ages, backgrounds and levels of experience with art through workshops, art walks, festivals, talks and more. Index’ pedagogy team facilitates learning in multifaceted and surprising ways.
Current Learning Events
- Exhibition: Media Coverage28 October–16 November 2016
- Writing Sessions: Sampling the name8 November 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Open Workshop: Placeholders19 November 2016, 13:00–15:00
- Writing Sessions: Collect the crash26 September 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Workshop: 15 minutes of shame with Anna Axfors13 August 2016, 17:00–18:00
- Workshop: Performance making with I HIMLEN ÄR ALLA LINJER BLÅ12 August 2016, 12:00–16:00
- Roaming Writing Sessions: The tongue is muscle filled with blood8 August 2016, 18:00–20:00
- Workshop: Build Your Own Joe9 July 2016, 14:00–16:00
- Roaming Writing Sessions: The Argonauts on The Stage27 June 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Workshop: Calligramming with Poesifest16 June 2016, 19:00–22:00
- Roaming Writing Session: Salongen23 May 2016, 17:00–20:00
- Workshop: Diagrammatics #222 May 2016, 14:00–17:00
- Open House30 April 2016, 11:00–14:00
- Cullberg Talks: Work28 April 2016, 18:00
- Roaming Writing Sessions: Telefonplan Bibliotek18 April 2016, 17:00–19:30
- Workshops: Diagrammatics16 April 2016, 14:00–17:00
- Workshops: The 'I' in Self6 March 2016
- Conference: Pedagogies of Space25–26 February 2016
Index’ major learning initiative is Index Residents. Functioning as an open-ended platform for collaboration, over 120 students from school classes and social groups from across Stockholm take up residency within Index for one year. This residency takes a long-term approach, allowing topics to evolve and develop in relation to the interests of the participants. Over the year, these groups of young people are supported to; reclaim the city centre, to democratise art and to participate in art making. Index Residents participate in exhibition workshop series plus specialised visits to artists studios, art schools, film screenings and the like, providing a platform for young people to meet art face to face. More information here.
Index Teen Advisory Board
Index Teen Advisory Board, paid positions for eight young people from across Stockholm and Uppsala, is an integral part of our programming. The board actively support decision making and evaluation, and organize events. The aim is to bring together a group of young people with differing cultural backgrounds, languages and life experiences and reflect together on the role and potential of culture today, and implement ideas into the agenda of the organization. More information here.
Open Workshop Series
During each exhibition at Index there is a parallel series of workshops that illuminate and demonstrate some of the key themes presented in the exhibition. These practical workshops are designed for students of all ages. Upcoming workshops are announced here or contact us to arrange for your class to participate.
Learning Exhibition Space
Index has a space dedicated to learning and educational activities. Facing the waterfront with large windows towards the street, the space is also an exhibition platform for works that are being developed in connection to the pedagogical activities.
Index collaborates with many universities and art academies through ongoing partnerships and co-operations. We offer students insight into our curatorial practice and the work of important contemporary artists. We regularly collaborate with courses such as Curatorlab from Konstfack, the Art & Architecture programme at KKh, the Konstnärliga forskarskolan, Umeå Academy of Fine Arts – Umeå University, and many others.
Index regularly offers opportunities for internships for students and people new to the industry. More information here.
If you would like to participate in our program or know more about what we do, please get in touch with . We look forward to hearing from you.